Thursday, January 14, 2010

Just Broccoli

Tonight it's steamed broccoli. Maybe there are some of you that don't eat their broccoli this way. Now is a great time to give it a try. My family loves this one!

Steamed Broccoli (4 servings)

2 crowns of broccoli
water

In a small to medium pan, add 1 - 2 inches of water. Place a flower steamer in the pan of water and place the broccoli in the steamer. Cover the pan and on high heat, steam the broccoli until it is bright green and soft. This takes about 10 minutes.

Toppings: Tonight I sprayed Braggs Liquid Aminos onto the broccoli. You could also shred a bit of parmesan cheese on top. My daughter likes soy sauce.

Notes: This is good for you in so many ways and it's super easy. As the broccoli is cooking, watch it turn to a beautiful bright green. For an even more amazing green color, grow your own. You can cut off what you need and it will grow back. You can use a fork to test for doneness. The fork will insert easily into the broccoli when it is done. A flower steamer (that's my name for it) is a stainless steel contraption that looks like a flower and it folds up for storage.

Enjoy your green vegetable!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 spear (about 5" long) (31g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
11
Calories from Fat
1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
0.1g
0%
Saturated Fat
0g
0%
Polyunsaturated Fat
0g
Monounsaturated Fat
0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
10.2mg
0%
Potassium
98mg
3%
Total Carbohydrate
2.1g
1%
Dietary Fiber
0.8g
0%
Sugars
0.5g
0%
Protein
0.9g
2%
Vitamin A
4%
Vitamin C
46%
Calcium
1%
Iron
1%


1 comment:

  1. I L-O-V-E my flower steamer! I steam all my cooked veggies; I can't do without it.

    ReplyDelete