Monday, January 11, 2010

Chinese Tuna Salad

I know I know. Another Salad. But this one has a kick. It's just the thing when you want to eat something that's good for you and you want it to taste yummy too.

Chinese Tuna Salad

1 large can tuna (or chicken)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, sautéed in butter
1 head Romaine Lettuce
1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
4 green onions chopped

Dressing for the tuna

4 TBLS sesame oil
4 TBLS Rice Vinegar
4 TBLS Soy Sauce
4 TBLS Sugar
1 clove Garlic
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper

Drain the Tuna, add it to a small dish, and break it up. Add the dressing ingredients to the tuna. Marinate this for about 2 hours. In a serving bowl blend the lettuce, bell pepper, and green onions. When you're ready to eat, toss the meat and dressing with the lettuce. Sprinkle the almonds on last.

Notes: The first time I made this, everyone loved it. Yes, even my children. Sometimes too when I'm in a hurry, I don't wait for the meat to marinate.

The Meat: I don't eat a lot of meat but I do have fish on occasion. This recipe originally called for chicken, but I like the tuna just fine. The tuna shreds more than the chicken.

The lettuce: One time I had some lettuce and I wanted to make it crispy. I put it in a glass baking dish, filled the dish about 1/2 way with water, put the lid on the dish and put it in the fridge. I had some of the lettuce the next day and it was nice and crunchy and it was very fresh. I was able to leave it for several days and it was still crispy and fresh. Since then I've tried soaking it for a few hours and then draining it. It also lasts for several days. It's a great way to prolong lettuce. If I don't do this and just leave it in the package it came in, it doesn't last nearly as long.

Enjoy this fresh and lovely salad!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lettuce hint; I throw away so much lettuce, that I hesitate to buy it at times.

    ReplyDelete